Wednesday 26 September 2012

One Week After Surgery

Mobility:
I have probably been pushing myself to be on my feet more than I really should be, so I'm making an effort to stay off them for the most part now. However, I've found that I can be on my feet for an hour or so at a time and it is bearable. Any longer than that and I really need some pain relief to keep going. Bending is going fairly well through my exercises, although it's a bit more difficult now than it was a couple of days ago as the swelling has really kicked up a notch. My leg extension is as it was prior to the operation.

Swelling:
As you will see in the following photo, by day 5 (left) the swelling had started to make its presence felt, and by day 7 (right) it has given me a serious case of cankles. Yeuuuck :/

With the swelling has come the inevitable bruising. About a week after your operation, a lot of the escaped blood from the surgery will have migrated down your leg. The following are some photos of my first operation, which show what the bruising looked like when I had the donor ligament taken from the knee being reconstructed:

This will eventually all pool in your foot, as you can see here:

As you can probably guess, this makes the leg/foot quite tender - unfortunately all you can do is wait for it to go away. Elevating, icing, and taking pain relief where appropriate is the best advice I can give you for most things concerning post-op knee pain!

If you have any questions or anything, feel free to contact me. Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment